Home Chef: Thai Coconut Curry

8:03 AM

Welcome back! We're on recipe #2 of a second box from Home Chef. Next up is Thai coconut curry with snow peas, cilantro, and jasmine rice. Neither my husband nor I had ever made curry. This was only my second time eating it. 

On top of that, this dish is low calorie (391 calories for a HUGE portion), vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, and nut-free. It is labeled as "easy", quick (30 minutes), and according to the recipe card, you have up to 7 days from delivery date to cook it.

The Contents:

Ingredients: onion, garlic, roma tomatoes, red bell pepper, snow peas, cilantro sprigs, jasmine rice, coconut milk, vegetable bouillon cube, ginger, and curry powder

The thing I love most about vegetarian dishes is that I feel less like I can screw it up. No meat to burn or undercook? Yay!



Preparation:

First things first, prepare the veggies. For this dish, dice the onion, mince the garlic, chop the tomato, and julienne the pepper.

I had to Google "julienne". I guess this is a fairly common term since it wasn't explained on the recipe card. New to me though.


Make the rice, easy enough:


Saute the veggies. First saute the garlic and onion (not pictured). Then, add the pepper and peas:


Finish the curry by adding coconut milk, curry powder to taste, bouillon cube, ginger, and tomato. Stir until the cube dissolves and dish thickens. 



Home Chef sent me two bouillon cubes for this recipe. Since I have no experience making curry, I wasn't sure whether the error was in packaging my box, or a typo in the recipe. I went with only one cube, but taste-wise I do wonder if I should've gone with two. 

Also, the recipe said to add the curry "to taste". I wasn't sure if the amount of curry they sent was what most people would use, or if it was the extreme amount that only a few people would use. In the end, I wish I had added the whole bag. I only went with about half.

The Final Product:



The Verdict:


I mentioned in the preparation steps that I skimped a little bit on the curry and (possibly?) the bouillon. I wish I had gone all out. This dish smelled amazing and tasted pretty good, but it could've been better. My husband enjoyed it, but also agreed that it was a little bit bland. 

The best thing about these companies are the recipe cards. Someday, I'll try again with this dish. I can't fault Home Chef for the taste, so 10/10 to Home Chef again!

Home Chef is my favorite company thus far. If you would like to give them a try, use this link to receive $30 off of your first box. I think you'll be happy you did! Remember, you can cancel at any time after your first purchase. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments