Home Chef: BBQ Summer Salmon

3:46 PM

I'll throw this out there. I have zero experience cooking fish. I figured it would be nice to try to learn for my husband's sake. This box offered BBQ summer salon with snap pea and fennel slaw. It looked pretty yummy:


The Contents:

Ingredients: sugar snap peas, fennel bulb (I had definitely never seen one of these before), radishes, green onions, a lemon, white wine vinegar, sugar, salmon filets, BBQ sauce, and goat cheese crumbles


The Preparation:

Again, this recipe called for cutting something "on a bias." The recipe card provided an explanation this time: on an angle. Thank you!

Step one was to cut the peas and green onions on a bias, slice the fennel and radish into thin strips/circles, and slice the lemon in half


Next, the slaw was made by combining the juice of the lemon, white wine vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt, pepper, snap peas, fennel, and the green onion. While the salmon cooked, the slaw was put into the fridge to chill:


The last step was to cook the salmon. This was the scary part for me, and I was relying heavily on the recipe card's suggested times. I put the salmon in the pan and my husband walked in about here, asking what the white goo was:


I had no idea. The recipe card didn't mention it. After some Googling, I learned that this is called albumin, and is normal. The best way to avoid it is to not overcook your fish. Weirdly though, this started forming almost instantly. I had no idea what to do, other than try to push it away. Fish is weird...

I forgot to take a picture, but during the final two minutes of cooking, the salmon is brushed with BBQ sauce.

The Final Product:


The Verdict:

0/10 - but probably not Home Chef's fault.

I did not try this dish, because I'm not a fan of fish. My husband didn't like anything about the side salad. "The peas were too tough (uncooked). I don't like radishes." He also didn't like the salmon, but was pretty sure that was our fault. He's only ever baked salmon. Neither of us had experience cooking it in a pan. 

I think this was our first true Home Chef fail. For a recipe we weren't sure about, I'm not too upset. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments